Although an online magazine won’t cost you as much as a printed one (glossy colors are very expensive), it’s still a risky “investment”. Don’t have high expectations.
- Know your subject.
It’s a lot easier to assure the quality of your article contributions if you know how to analyze them.
- Find sponsors. Even if you will have a slow start, to transform the magazine into a real project, you will need money: for articles, magazine design, site, also for hosting and maintenance. If you want to make a successful business out of the magazine, then you should also invest in marketing; you will need to pay the phone bills, pay for the market research, salaries, legal support.
- Work with other people if you want to be successful. Talk to your partners about financial and practical details.
- Think how to make profit. This can mean attracting advertising, or maybe the users will need to pay a tax to read the magazine.
- Decide on the publication period. Regular publications will make the users come visit your site again.
- Decide what kind of publication rights will you buy from your partners.
- Hire a web designer or make your own website.
- Learn how to maintain your own site or hire someone to do this.
- Start gathering materials for your first magazine.